Demand to pay past due rent:

Before your landlord starts an eviction against you, he must first make a demand that you pay the past due rent.   That demand can be in writing or verbally.   It can even be over the phone.   If you're getting to the point where it looks like the landlord is going to try to evict you, keep notes about what happens using the Non-Payment Note form.

If all of your efforts to borrow money to pay your past due rent have failed and your landlord won't agree to a payment plan, there are still things you can do.   The worst thing you can do, is to do nothing.

Many programs are available which may help you pay both the past-due portion of your rent and for you stay current.   Each of these programs has its own requirements for eligibility.   Generally you will have to have received at least a "demand for payment of past due rent" from your landlord or have received a Notice of Petition and Petition for eviction.   If your landlord demanded the past due rent verbally, in person or by phone, ask your landlord to send you a written demand so you can bring it with you when applying for any of the programs.

Family Eviction Prevention Supplement (FEPS) and Jiggetts

If you are eligiible for a "Family Eviction Prevention Supplement" you may be able to get help with both past-due and future rent.   You must have at least one minor child living with you and have an open, non-sanctioned, public assistance case.   FEPS can pay past-due rent of up to $7,000.00 and help you to pay future rent for up to five years.

The following are some of the places where you can apply for FEPS in the Bronx (click on an address to get subway/bus/driving directions):

            The Legal Aid Society:

                        953 Southern Blvd., Bronx, N.Y. 10459, (718) 991-4758.

                        579 Courtlandt Ave, Bronx, N.Y. 10451 (718) 928-3700.

            Citizens Advice Bureau:

                        1130 Grand Concourse, Bronx, N.Y. 10456, 3rd Floor, (718)  293-0727.

                        847 Concourse Village East, Bronx, NY 10451, 3rd Floor, (718) 664-1328.

                        1365 Jerome Ave., Bronx, N.Y. 10452, 2nd Floor, (718) 590-7650.

                        1910 Monterey Ave, Bronx, N.Y. 10457, 1st Floor, (718) 901-5880.

                        2551 Bambridge Ave., Bronx, NY 10458 2nd Floor, (718) 220-6643.

            Catholic Charities Community Services:

                        1910 Monterey Ave, Bronx, N.Y. 10457, (718) 901-4404.

            Neighborhood Association for Intercultural Affairs:

                        1055 Grand Concourse, Bronx, N.Y. 10452, (718) 537-3195.

(The Jiggets program has largely been replaced by the family eviction prevention supplement. If you have an existing Jiggetts supplement, you may be able to continue receiving it.)

Emergency grant from public assistance:

You can apply for an emergency grant for past due rent at your public assistance office.   Bring with you proof of how much you owe (such as the demand letter from your landlord).   You will also need to show that if the past due rent is paid, you will be able to continue to pay the rent when it is due.

Emergency Food and Shelter National Board Program:

The Emergency Food and Shelter National Board Program is administered through United Way.   They have limited funds to help tenants pay past due rent.   For more information about applying and eligibility go to United Way EFSP website.


The HomeBase program can help people facing eviction or homelessness.   They may be able to provide financial assistance and legal services to avoid an eviction.   For more information, go to the CAMBA website.

Rental Assistance Program:

The Rental Assistance Program may provide up to $300.00 a month for two years to help people who are unemployed and living in a domestic violence center.   For more information, go to the Coalition for the Homeless website.

Section 8 Housing:

When available, Section 8 housing may be able to help you if you live in a Section 8 home or want to move to a Section 8 home.   Because of budget restrictions, the applications for new vouchers are often suspended or subject to a lottery.   For more information, go to the NYC Affordable Housing Recource Center website.