Understanding the real cost of a traffic ticket.
- Points: Most people are generally aware that if you get multiple points on your license for moving violations, bad things can happen. These include:
- Once you have six points on your license (in an 18-month period) you're subject to a $300.00 assessment. For every point over six points, there is a $25 per point assessment for each year for three years. Your failure to pay any assessment when due will automatically result in your license being suspended.
- If you get 11 points within an 18-month period, there is a mandatory suspension of your license.
- If you are a commercial driver, such as a taxi driver or truck driver, and your license is suspended or revoked, you will be unable to obtain a restricted license. If your license is suspended or revoked for having too many points, being deemed a dangerous driver or for failing to make payments on assessments or show up in court, you will not be able to make a living at your job. If you get caught driving with a suspended or revoked license, it will be much harder to get your license back eventually and you may lose your commercial driver's license and be subject to arrest.
- Convictions for moving violations will often increase your insurance rates by up to 15% or more. Many insurance companys will refuse to issue or renew your insurance when you have a history of moving violations. You may be forced to get minimal insurance coverage through assigned risk at the highest rates.
- Time that you will lose from work. It is not unusual for your hearing to be adjourned 3 to 5 times. These adjournments may be at your request to let some of your old violations slip out of the 18-month look back period. Having to take time off of work for several days can cost you in loss of pay, loss of vacation, sick or personal time and in job evaluations.
- Of course - the fines. Fines and surcharges went up July 6, 2009. When you have multiple moving violations, especially safety violations, fines and surcharges for even 1 ticket can go over $1,500.00.